Weight loss ketosis has been a weight loss strategy that has been deemed suitable for most people who have been into different weight loss programs but failed to obtain their desired outcomes. For those who have tried, they were just amazed as to how ketosis for weight loss worked amazingly for their bodies, unlike their previous weight loss regimens.
What is ketosis?
Ketosis is a known regular course that your body takes to keep it working without having enough carbohydrates for your cells. This process burns energy through fat while producing ketones.
Ketosis refers to that metabolic process of the body wherein fat replaces carbohydrates as the fuel burned by our body to produce the energy that we need. Cutting down the quantity of carbohydrates or calories would reduce our reliance to carbohydrates as fuel for the body and thus, turns to fat or in a state of ketosis.
When in the ketosis state, the liver utilizes fatty acids to form ketone molecules as an energy source. Ketones, or often termed as ketone bodies, breaks down fat as an energy source whenever our carbohydrate consumption is low.
When our bodies are short of carbohydrates intake, our glucose levels also go down. Since sugar is the source of fuel for our bodies, glycogen levels also dwindle with both sugar and insulin levels lower. The body reacts by trying to search for an alternative fuel, which is likely fat.
The number of ketones that our body has can be measured in:
- Our blood, using a glucose meter
- Our urine, using a urine strip
- Our breath, with a breath meter
Among the three methods available, measuring ketone in the blood serves to be the best and most accurate one. The other two can be less accurate at times, but these somehow are the most affordable alternatives, especially for those who just started their ketosis for weight loss program.
Urine strips tend to be less accurate, as your body has just increasingly adapted to ketosis for weight loss. Thus, your body has the tendency to re-absorb the ketones from urine. It may show the same results over time especially when you have been in a ketosis for weight loss diet for several weeks already without other indications showing.
Breath analyzers also give a precise ketone figure. They can be cheaper, as they can be reused. They can be less accurate and its results may not always relate with blood ketones.
So, if a person is in a weight loss ketosis program wherein he follows a ketogenic diet, his body tries to create ketones as a source of energy by means of burning fat. This usually happens whenever a person fasts and exercises for longer hours, or in the process of starvation, or when he/she maintains a low-carbohydrate diet or a ketone diet program.
Why do you think is this so?
During the process when there are fewer carbohydrates to burn, the body turns to fats for energy. Ketosis is also a process called beta-oxidation, wherein ketones are formed as source of fuel for both body and brain.
During weight loss ketosis, the ghrelin levels in your body are suppressed. Known as the “hunger hormone,” Ghrelin stimulates your appetite. This hormone is released in the stomach and intestines, and it also boosts blood levels to their highest point when you fast. Once you eat, ghrelin levels respond to the nutrients that have been digested from food, circulating in your blood stream. Ghrelin levels go up during weight loss. However, if your body experiences ketosis, your ghrelin levels are even more suppressed and you tend to eat less even after dieting.
Now if you are a healthy person who regularly observes a balanced diet, your body tends to be in control of the fat it burns, as compared to an overweight person who tends to overeat. They are also the ones who need to make use of ketones. Cutting back on the amount of calories or carbohydrates intake will also prompt your body to turn to ketosis for energy. The same thing happens when you exercise longer.
How to achieve ketosis is simple. It only takes one to get into a ketogenic diet so as to create ketones inside his body. Weight loss ketosis means having to remove our dependence on carbs to burn more fats. This process has proven to keep blood pressure lower, reduce a person’s food cravings, maintain the desirable cholesterol levels, lose weight while boosting energy, and a whole lot more.
Perhaps the only downside of weight loss ketosis is having ketosis breath or bad breath, but this is said to pass after the body has gotten rid of toxins through fat burning.
A person who eats more than his normal food requirement while engaging in less exercise tends to become overweight and this can bring in many health hazards to his body. Perhaps this can be a sign of hormonal imbalance or some other disease. This situation can send them to various weight loss programs, including weight loss ketosis.
What is a Weight Loss Ketosis Program?
Getting into a weight loss ketosis program also means getting into a ketogenic diet program wherein the main focus is on how to bring the body into a ketosis state.
Weight loss ketosis simply means suppressing your bodily intake of calories or carbohydrates in order to lose weight.
During a suppressed diet, the body burns fat for fuel rather than carbohydrates. This happens when it is in a fasting state. For this reason, many people who find it hard to lose weight or unwanted fats decide to go into a weight loss ketosis program.
The Benefits of Weight Loss Ketosis
Weight loss ketosis can have many benefits, such as:
- Losing weight. We lose weight as we tend to remove our reliance from calories and carbohydrates as for fuel.
- Regulating our hormones. Ketosis regulates our chotechystokin or CCK hormones, which is responsible in stimulating our appetite. CCK hormones, which is released form our intestines, basically stimulates fat and protein during digestion constraints in the stomach. In such manner, this hormone regulates our food intake, thus reducing our cravings whenever we are into ketosis. Getting into ketosis can increase CCK especially with a suppressed or ketogenic diet.
- Suppressing our Appetite. When we get into ketosis, our appetite is reduced, as it changes the hormone and nutrient levels in our bodies that triggers hunger. More so, it reduces our cravings, thus helping us eat less of unhealthy foods or those with containing more calories.
- Regulating our blood sugar. In a state of ketosis, we tend to have a stable blood sugar with a diet that is contains less calories and carbohydrates. Weight loss ketosis reduces cravings and eliminates stress during weight loss.
What is a Ketogenic Diet?
There are specific foods that are prescribed when one is in a weight loss ketosis program. In observing a ketogenic diet, the following foods are prescribed:
- Meat and fish sources (beef, chicken and other poultry, pork, lamb, goat, turkey, veal. Fish sources include salmon, sardines, catfish, tuna, trout, etc
- Dairy products like eggs, milk, cheese, sour cream, yogurt, heavy creams
- Low-carb vegetables such as, spinach, kale, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, asparagus, peppers, and onions
- Fats and oils including: nuts and seeds (whole or in the form of butter), high-quality oils like olive oil, sesame oil, or high oleic sunflower and safflower oils, ghee, and grass-fed butter
- Low sugar fruits but in low amounts
- Herbs and spices (without added sugar)
Taking in ketogenic or ketosis supplements like lemon, apple cider vinegar, fermented foods, cinnamon, turmeric, chromium, vanadium, fenugreek seed, bitter gourd, gymema, L-carnitine, herbal adaptogens, and alphoic acid can also improve the results of losing weight through ketosis without robbing your body of the essential nutrients and antioxidants that it needs.
A word of caution, however, for the people who want to get into a ketosis weight loss regimen, since not everyone can get into a ketogenic diet. Generally, it may be considered safe for most people but there are situations that require medical support like
- When one is diabetic and it may require adjustment that has to be made in their regular insulin doses.
- When on medication for high blood pressure
- When breastfeeding
Now, that you have learned about ketosis and how it works for the body, perhaps you are now prepared to get into ketosis weight loss. This means that you will have to undergo a suppression of your diet in order to reduce your weight. If you are still uncertain of getting into ketosis as a weight loss strategy, you may as well seek for expert opinion to help you create a roadmap towards the implementation of a successful ketosis weight loss plan. This way, you will be guided as to the right foods to eat, when to eat, how much you should eat, and what ketosis supplements are best for you when you go on a ketosis for weight loss program.